Joint Statement of Permanent Gender Equality Council and Permanent Parliamentary Child Protection Council
04 Mar 2021
Members of the Permanent Gender Equality Council and the Permanent Parliamentary Child Protection Council condemn the fact of violence against a 13-year-old child.
Any form of violence against children, including sexual violence is a horror story. Given the current situation:
- We call on all relevant agencies to respond in a timely manner and hold all relevant persons accountable with the full force of the law. It should be noted that a man under the age of 50 has already been arrested by the Ministry of Internal Affairs.
- We call on all relevant agencies, taking into account the best interests of the juvenile, to take all necessary measures in a timely manner to protect the physical and psychological health of the child.
- It is essential that any kind of violence against a minor be investigated promptly and effectively in each case and that all those responsible be severely punished.
- For our part, we express our full commitment to continuing working intensively to prevent violence and further improve the legislation, as this fact once again underscored the significant challenges that the state still has much to do to deal with.
- At the same time, we call on the media to be guided by the best interests of the victim, in this case the juvenile, in the coverage of sexual violence and especially of juveniles.